OPERATION BABYSITTER: FAILED

Friday, December 18, 2009

Last night we hired our first babysitter- EVER. I know, Lauren is almost 2 years old, but we just have really never had the need. We bring the kids almost everywhere, and the few times we have wanted some time to ourselves, grandparents or my sisters have helped out. Last night was Dan's company Christmas party, so we decided to hire the nice girl across the street to watch Lauren and Ella. She is 16, a good student, babysits for several other families, and literally lives across the street. She came over on Tuesday night to meet the kids and get some instructions. She admitted she had never watched an infant and toddler at the same time, but after visiting she felt she could handle it and was very excited for Thursday. Well, last night I was feeling great when we left. Lauren went to her right away, didn't cry when we left, and I had nursed Ella right before leaving and she had fallen asleep so she was lying peacefully in her bassinet. It was too easy.

Fast-forward to arriving home after a great dinner. I noticed there was an extra pair of shoes on the rug when we walked in. She met us at the door and I saw her shirt COVERED in dried spit-up. And then I see her mother sitting in the chair holding Ella! She told us that Ella woke up 5 minutes after we left, and she tried to lay her back down several times with no luck. She also said she tried to give Ella her bottle later and she wouldn't drink it. I don't know when her mother came to help, but I hope she didn't stress too long, and I also hope she didn't give up too easily! Dan and I both agree that we are glad she was willing to call and ask for help. And never was I worried about the kids and their safety/happiness... I was just really hoping this worked out so Dan and I could go to a movie sometime!

0 comments: